Wearing academic dress at an award ceremony is compulsory and you cannot participate or cross the stage without it. It comprises of gown, hood and mortarboard and denotes your university and the title of the award you have obtained. On the day of your ceremony you should wear smart dress and it is recommended that you wear a shirt or blouse with buttons.
This year William Northam are offering a special gowning and photography package deal for UCO students at a cost of £59.00. This comprises of:
- standard robe hire
- 1 x 10” x 8” portrait
- 2 x 5” x 4” portrait (of the same image)
Alternatively you can hire just your robes on their own; prices are available on their website.
Booking your gown & photography package:
You should place your order online at www.williamnortham.com
or by telephone on 0870 2401852
(National call rates will apply – call centre opening hours 0900-1700, Monday to Friday). Gown hire will open Monday 21st August 2017 and orders must be placed by: Friday 29th September 2017.
Use of the William Northam online booking system will enable you to receive your confirmation and order reference in one easy transaction.
Before you order, you need to have the following information available:
- The name of the award which you will be receiving
- The time and date of your ceremony
- Your chest size and your height – should you require any special requirements i.e. an extra large or small gown please make this clear when ordering. William Northam will endeavour to meet your requirements.
- Your hat size - measure the circumference of your head approximately 2.5cms above your eyebrows, and state the measurement in centimetres or inches.
- Your credit/debit card details.
- You should wear the academic dress of the degree which you are being awarded, NOT the dress of a degree which you may already hold.
If you are unsuccessful in passing your course this time, you will need to cancel your robe. In order to receive a refund this must be done directly with Northam’s no less than 7 days prior to the date of your ceremony.
You should also ensure that you read the Terms and Conditions on the William Northam website, especially with regard to cancellation of robe hire.
Collecting & Returning Gowns
Gowns can be collected from the Queen Elizabeth Hall from 9am on the day of the ceremony and returned by 4pm the same day.
Please be aware that the UCO official photographers will be taking photographs on the day of the ceremony which may be used in UCO publicity. Wherever possible your consent will be obtained but this may not be practical in all circumstances (for instance crowd shots).